How might Brexit affect driving a hired van abroad?


The uncertainty surrounding how the UK may leave the EU in the coming months may affect what is required to take a hire vehicle abroad after Brexit.  Based on Government advice we advise that you prepare and ensure you also have the following:

  1. At least 6 months left on your passport
  2. An International Driving Permit (IDP)- available at the Post Office
  3. 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
  4. 1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
  5. 1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland
  6. Check to see which IDP you require- you may need more than one if travelling through several countries.

At Berkshire Van Hire we offer competitive rates for European hire as well as van hire in Reading and the surrounding areas.  Our European hire rates include EU and UK insurance and breakdown cover, green card, VE103 document and basic equipment for taking the vehicle abroad- a reflective jacket for the driver, a warning triangle and a bulb set (it is the driver’s responsibility to make sure any extra equipment required is taken).   Please let our friendly staff at our Reading office know your hire dates and requirements and which countries you plan to travel through as soon as possible so we can ensure all documentation is in place for your hire car or van to go abroad!

Return to News Homepage