Driving a Minibus Rules and Regulations


Why do I need a D1 Minibus Licence?

Those who passed their driving test before 1 January 1997 automatically received category D1(101) (not for hire or reward) entitlement. School staff with such a licence can drive a minibus carrying up to 16 passengers with no maximum weight limit. If you need to get a D1 licence, we recommend Kim Driver Training in Woodley. Please contact Kim Driver Training (School minibus driver training). We have a selection of new clean minibuses 9 and 16 seaters. Please view our minibuses for hire Reading Berkshire.

12 or 17-seater minibuses are the minibuses requiring D1 on Berkshire Van Hire insurance. 

Minibus Hire Reading Berkshire


We only have 8 and 9 seaters on display on our website. We do hire bigger minibuses for customers on occasion.  The 12 and 17 seaters are available on request subject to availability and for a minimum of four days + hire.

Driving a minibus with a trailer

In order to drive a Minibus with a trailer you will have to have a D1E Licence. This is very important to schools that have Rowing Clubs or plan to do the Duke of Edinburgh Awards.


Driving a minibus References

Government advice on driving a minibus

Driving a school minibuses governament advice for schools and local authorities

Driving school minibuses Advice for schools and local authorities pdf document

Minibus driver training Reading Berkshire

Return to News Homepage